Let's just start out by saying, "If chocolate and caramel are involved, it must be good." Let me also get one thing clear; I am NOT eating these right now as I am on a sweet's "fast" for 6 weeks, on day 18.
Phew! Now that I got those 2 facts out of the way we can get to the good stuff!
Chocolate Crackletopsadapted by Robyn Rasmussen
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 squares 1 oz each unsweetened baking chocolate
4 large eggs lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 bag Kraft caramels unwrapped and cut into fourths
8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- Combine flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine 2 cups sugar, stick butter and unsweetened chocolate squares, stirring until butter and chocolate are melted; remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture until well blended.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- THEN mix in chocolate chips and caramel bits and chill for 1 more hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With sugar dusted hands roll into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Store in tightly covered container.
makes about 3 dozen large cookies.